Monday 9 May 2011

Logo Research and Design

It is fairly difficult to research Motown band logos as generally the iconic Motown 'M' is used if a logo was to appear at all. Instead I have decided to look at other genres of logos in order to inspire my ideas to come up with a logo that is original for The Harmonettes.
A logo can either be a small icon or a font which regularly appears.
For example:
We can see the iconic Guns 'n' Roses logo, which features on their greatest hits album, to have more to it than just a simple font, as well as the Slipknot 'S' featured behind the text, I think this style of logo will be appropriate to feature on the DVD cover as it would add to the detail on it.

As the band name indicates musical technique and was devised by writing a list of things to do with music, I have decided to incorporate musical elements to the logo. My initial ideas consisted of using a treble clef at the end of 'Harmonettes' however the pencil sketches that I drew did not look as professional or high standard as I would of hoped.
I then thought of having blank music scores at the integral part of the logo:
And then from finding this picture I thought it would be effective to have the treble clef in the usual place on the left, and then 'The Harmonettes' would be symbolic notes on the scores.

I also wanted to make the name stand out from the scores and so I added 2 more layers of text, first the grey, then white, then black to create a highlighted shadow effect. I found in my research of conventional Motown fonts and logos that highlighting, bold and bright colours and fonts are used so it was appropriate to do this. I have taken a more elegant approach to the font and highlights which I believe would appeal to a more current audience and will fit in the modern day advertising and fonts.

Almost final version:
This version of the logo was created at school and so you can see the difference in font, whereas I was able to download and install the specific font on my laptop, restrictions on the schools computers disallowed me to install it and so I had to do this again at home in order to have the correct font.


I also decided to create a smaller logo that could possibly appear on the spine side of the DVD cover, this would essentially be similar to the main logo, accept the scores are much smaller and only features the 'H' from Harmonettes, this in itself could emulate the iconic Motown 'M' and aspire to be as recognisable as the Motown 'M'. It would also aid the development of a brand identity for The Harmonettes.


The final version of the main name logo can be seen on the front of the DVD cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment