Tuesday 10 May 2011

Editing - Narrative

Due to filming the narrative on the Friday and the deadline for the music videos being on the Monday, I decided to take the full editing process upon myself.
I downloaded a trial version of adobe premiere in order for me to edit the narrative into the music video over this weekend.
I encountered several problems due to the trial version not supporting certain the specific format of video which the footage was in, I tried to figure out a way round this and any conversion software did not work. I decided to import the footage individually into Windows Movie Maker and save the file as a .AVI file whereas the footage from previously in .MPEG (I think, I cannot specifically remember) this enabled me to import the files into premiere and no other importing issues were faced.
In order to appear like the song was being played through the radio I thought that a voice introducing the song would be key, and so luckily I found a willing participant, (my online friend Calum) who was able to record the line 'And coming up next on late night FM, The Shoop Shoop Song by the Harmonettes'. Calum has a strong Liverpool accent and so it was an entertaining process trying to get him to tone it down a little due to audience being able to understand as well as a Liverpool accent not being identifiable to Motown.

It had previously been discussed the possibilities of having a black and white music video, but when experimenting, I thought it made the video look dull and the red dresses made the video stand out more than it would have done if it was in black and white so I decided to keep the music video in colour, but edit the narrative in black and white. This again represents the narrative to be set in the past whereas the colour performance is a modern day representation and the younger selves have grown up with the song. We noted that in Girls Aloud - The Promise the performance was in black and white whereas the narrative was in colour, our video juxtaposes this one and it was where our idea of using black and white came from.
Other regularly seen themes in music videos is the fade appearance of the band name, song name etc coming up at the beginning of the music video and so I decided to add this when the song starts after it is turned up on the radio. I did this my remembering the previous process of adding band members names to the Behind the scenes documentary and so this as a quick addition this time round.
I also edited any other lighting issues that were existing and tried to iron out anymore flaws.
Due to the original first shot seen of the singer singing the first line being out of sync, I changed it completely to show the keyboard player first as it is a key part in the music where the keyboard is heard distinctly and so it made sense to include it. This erased any drastic syncing issues as it was largely the main part out of sync, however still due to the lead singers inability to mime, parts of the song still look dodgy.
On Monday I showed Max and a small group of people to see of their approval and they said it was significantly different to when they were saw it and said that it was a positive improvement. I also got someone that does music technology and has extensive knowledge of sound and recording in order to see if the syncing can be improved however we found this difficult as it meant that certain parts would have to be cut out which would make the visuals inconsistent. For example, the line 'oh no that's just his charms' should be seen being sung by the singer, whereas if we edited the syncing any further the word 'charms' would not be sung and the shot would cut at an odd place and so for these reasons it was the better option to leave it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment