Monday 28 February 2011

Band Name and Fonts

Following the 'Motown Research' blogpost which I looked at the style of fonts and themes that occur in Motown names, I decided to try and finalise a band name and come up with suitable fonts for the house style and perhaps logo of the band.

As you can see from the 'Mind Maps, Scans, Plans' blogpost I wrote words which are associated with singing, bands, music and random band names. With this I then tried to adapt the word to fit the themes which I found such as 'The' '... & The ...' 'ettes' etc.

Finally I came up with 'The Harmonettes' and suggested it to the group, which they also approved of. I feel it fits well with the Motown themes highlighted but it also fits well with the three lead singers as they obviously have to harmonise with each other in a performance. It was fairly difficult trying to come up with an original band name, and still this name may not be accepted by the band itself but I have prepared the name none the less and then moved on to find fonts which would be usable.
The above fonts are what I have found to be possibilities for the house style font. The last two fonts are perhaps the least appropriate but I wanted to produce a range of fonts. I added them to the list in order to contrast with the others and go against the conventions of the Motown font, it is more elegant which links to the word 'harmony' but I think it may be too difficult to read on posters and advertisements.
With the third font, I tried to find one which could replicate the iconic Motown 'M' logo (see below), and I believe I have been successful in finding a font that does this however, it then poses the case of not being original for the band and whether they actually want a sole Motown identity.
The 4th font again tries to replicate the iconic Motown fonts and incorporates the underlinement in the 'Tamla Motown' logo (see below) however this is more individual and interesting.
Obviously these fonts will be discussed with the band members and the representative in the scheduled meeting, and it will ultimately be their decision on which font we use.



No comments:

Post a Comment